Had an abortion, now what..?
Choosing to have an abortion may have left you suffering some consequences that you weren’t expecting. We’re here to offer a safe place to talk about your abortion experience. Post abortion grief can affect men as well others close to an abortion experience. Should you be struggling with grief, there is support available.
Symptoms of Post Abortion Grief
If you’ve had an abortion(s) in the past, check and see if you are currently experiencing some of the more common grief symptoms listed below.
- Guilt, anxiety, or psychological numbness
- Depression (unexplained feelings of sadness; sudden uncontrollable crying episodes; poor self-concept; sleep, appetite, or sexual problems; reduced motivation; conflicts in relationships; thoughts of suicide)
- Anniversary grief (on the anniversary date of the abortion or due date of the aborted child)
- Flashbacks of the abortion
- Preoccupation with becoming pregnant again or anxiety over fertility and childbearing issues
- Interruption of the bonding process with other children
- Survival guilt
- Eating disorders, alcohol and drug abuse, or other self-punishing or self-degrading behaviors
- Brief reactive psychosis
Recent research is demonstrating that abortion can be responsible for at least some profound long-term emotional disturbances in a woman’s life. Post Abortion Stress is the term used to describe a woman’s inability to:
- Process the fear, anger, sadness and guilt surrounding her abortion experience
- Grieve the loss of her baby
- Come to peace with God, herself and others involved in the abortion decision.
Yes I’ve had an abortion, is there someone I can talk to?
“Having an abortion was the greatest tragedy of my life. Sometimes people describe tragic events as though they were all a blur. I remember this event as if it happened yesterday.”
The Pregnancy & Resource Centre offers a safe, confidential environment to express and work through the emotions associated with your abortion losses. If your abortion is still on your mind and heart, no matter how long ago it took place, we would like to help you heal and move on to a happier chapter in your life, we are here to help and support you through your grief. Our post abortion client advocates understand what you are going through. Our Post-abortion recovery and education program is highly confidential and available in one-on-one or group format. Contact the Centre today and ask about our post-abortion recovery program. Take that step that will bring the healing that you have been waiting for.
*From Healing after Abortion: Identifying and Overcoming Post-Abortion Syndrome – by Teri K. Reisser, M.S., M.F.T. And Paul C Reisser, M.D. Focus on the Family 2002 From A Time to Speak: A Healing Journal for Post-Abortive Women – by Yvonne Florczak-Seeman, Copyright 2005 by Love From Above, Inc. (Project Rachel)
See our Abortion Disclaimer